The Glenugie Distillery was built on the site of an old windmill, remnants of which still survive, and is overlooked by a ruined watchtower on a small eminence.
1833 – 1834: The Glenugie Distillery was established in the early 1830s and production started in 1837. Donald McLeod & Co. were the first owners, yet lasted less than one year. Glenugie was converted into a brewery in 1873, but was then turned back into a distillery by Scottish Highland Distillers & Co. Ltd who completely renovated the distillery. At this time, the annual output was 90,000 gallons. The distillery was very successful from 1884 until 1915 while it was owned by Simon Forbes. From 1925 to 1937, the distillery was silent until it was reopened by Seagar Evans & Co. Ltd.
In 1956, Glenugie once again underwent a major renovation. Included in the renovation was an oil-fired burner which replaced the coal-fired system. As a result, production was significantly increased. The distillery had 2 stills. Since the 1970s, Glenugie's owners were Whitbread & Co. Ltd. Whitbread eventually ceased production due to a major slump in the whisky business and the distillery was permanently shut down and dismantled in 1983.
The mashtun and spirit safe were sold and removed to Fettercairn. The latter now functions as the No 1 Spirit Safe. Forsyth coppersmiths were involved in the removal of equipment.
Score Group plc headquarters now stands on the site of the former distillery.